Are you an experienced organizer with a strong track record of winning campaigns? If so, we are looking for you! We are recruiting superstar organizers to join a small team of elite campaigners for the next 6 months on a project to take on Big Tech – and no you do not need to be a parent to apply!
Tech companies are now the world’s most powerful entities and they are using their power in a way that is devastating. They track children and sell their private information to third parties; expose kids to sexual predators, extremist beliefs, and disinformation; intentionally addict them; degrade their mental health and well-being; and delay critical physical skills like hand-eye coordination – all while creating a permanent public record of personal information that can be accessed by anyone. The pandemic has meant our kids spend more time online than ever before, exacerbating all these harms.
Over the next six months, ParentsTogether will harness the power of parents in our 3 million member community to transform the way Big Tech is seen in relation to children and to motivate platform reforms. We’ll create a tidal wave of diverse parent stories flooding the public narrative to illustrate the true danger of the tech industry. We need passionate and skilled organizers to join an extremely strong campaign team. For the right person, we can be flexible – full or part time, flexible hours, and location.
Here’s some of the awesome stuff you’ll do:
- Identify and execute creative ways to recruit parents to tell stories about how tech companies have negatively impacted their children and families.
- Develop and maintain relationships with parent storytellers
- Work with partners organizations to build relationships with parents from traditionally marginalized communities
- Maintain, with co-organizers, a database of parent storytellers
- Work collaboratively with a small team to leverage storytelling in digital campaigns, traditional and social media, and direct actions
- Work with our organizers and media team to connect parents with press opportunities
You’ll be a great fit if you:
- Have substantial organizing experience with a strong track record of effectiveness – 5+ years preferred
- Know what makes a good story and have the ability to help people tell their stories
- Are empathetic and excited about building meaningful relationships with parent storytellers
- Are detail oriented
- Enjoy working with others
- You don’t need to be a parent, just concerned about the next generation
- Experience working in this issue area not required
- Fluency in Spanish and organizing experience in Spanish speaking communities is a plus
We are looking to fill several organizer roles and are happy to be flexible for the right candidates. Full time and part time will be considered. Flexible geography. Monthly compensation ranges from $10,000 – $15,000 depending on experience and availability.
A LITTLE ABOUT US
ParentsTogether is a community of over 2.5 million parents and grandparents working together to make the world a better place for children and families.
We are a small-but-growing, nimble team innovating across platforms—from Facebook Messenger to TikTok—to provide timely, relevant content that matters to families. We also use those same channels to organize parents to speak out in favor of economic justice, pandemic relief, public education, affordable childcare, kids’ health, racial justice, protection for immigrant families, and other important priorities.
As an organization, we are collaborative and work to solve challenges together. We have a positive, low-ego, low-drama work culture. All of us love our work and are driven to help ParentsTogether succeed. Our strategy framework is based on lean startup principles. We try out ideas quickly, see what works, and iterate.
At ParentsTogether, we have an intersectional analysis and believe that building a multiracial, cross-class parent movement is non-negotiable. We are actively working to build a diverse team of staff and contractors; people of color, people from poor and working class backgrounds, LGBTQ folks, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based upon gender, race, national origin, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, or gender expression.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply Online. Please include a resume/CV, and responses to the following questions in one PDF:
- Describe a campaign you’ve worked on where storytelling was central to the strategy. What was your role?
- Tell us about a social justice campaign in the last 6 months that you admired. What specific pieces of the strategy and execution did you like? (It doesn’t need to be a campaign you worked on but it can be!)
- What is your preferred work style? How do you like to receive feedback from your manager?
Questions? Reach out to [email protected].